Being a former musician and songwriter, I’ve always understand that to do music recording you will need a desktop (it is my fundamental opinion, of course)
But to be on the go, one alternative is the Mac Book …… but they cost a blimey 😛 .
I was thinking back on doing a home based recording but a Windows based laptop ( well that’s some challenge).
I was surfing the internet and I could say the “Musician Friend” is indeed a musician’s friend (get what I mean) .
MusicXPC laptops are designed for musicians on the go ….. like me.
It’s hard to say at $999, i think it’s a steal.
The fun part is this … it is a Windows XP based sytem and it is tweak specifically for the music production.
Whether you’re using Cubase, Sonar, Reason, Protools, Cakewalk or others …. you will feel it is lightning speed.
Lets look more on the spec and you will definately know what I mean …..
Specs :- ( MusicXPC Professional M4)
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83Hz CPU/667 FSB
- CHIPSET: Intel 945GM Express
- DISPLAYz: Support 15.4″ WXGA TFT Active Matrix Color (1280 x 800)
- SYSTEM: Windows XP (Pack 2)
- MEMORY: DDR2 667MHz with 1GB module. Upgradeable to 2GB memory by two sets of 1GB SODIMM
- VIDEO: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950 with DirectX 9 acceleration
- VIDEO RAM: 64-224MB Dynamic – shared with system RAM
- HARD DISC: 100GB, 5400 RPM, SATA 1.5GB/s; 9.5mm, 2.5′ HDD
- OPTICAL DRIVE: 8X DVD+/-RW
- SOUND: AD1986A AC97 Codec, Microphone-in, Line-in and Headphone-out, Auto-sense jack capability, Keyboard control, Capable of playing CD while LCD panel is closed (BTO)
- SPEAKER: Two speakers 2W
- PC CARD BUS: ENE 712 (included Card bus + Flashcard Reader controller), PC Card 95 supported with one type-II (No type-III support) Card sockets, 3-port FireWire PC card bus (6-pin) included, Power switch ENE CP2211. Additional 1394 Phy VIA VT6301
- MODEM: V.92/56K bps, Compliant and 14.4K bps Send/Receive Fax with MDC solution
- LAN: Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mbps
- WIRELESS LAN: Wireless LAN 802.11b/g, module integrated for Mini-PCI interface.
- 3 USB 2.0 ports
- VGA monitor display port, 15 pins
- RJ-11 phone jack for 56Kbps V.92 Modem port
- RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet port
- Kensington lock
- TV-Out (S-Video)
- 1 on notebook, 3 on included PC Card
- 4-in-1 card reader [SD/MMC/MS/MS Pro]
- DIMENSIONS: 360mm x 265mm x 33mm
- WEIGHT: 2.9 Kg / 6.5 lb
- AC ADAPTER: Universal AC adapter. 90-264V AC, 47-63Hz, 65W with 19V DC output, Dimension: 108 mm x 45.5mm x 25.9mm, Weight: 0.56 g, 3 pin type for AC inlet and AC plug
- BATTERY: 8 cell LI-ION of 18650 size w/ 65WH(14.8V x 4400mAh) capacity, Battery life: 4.5 hrs min, Charge time 2.5 hrs max. (System off or suspend at room temperature), Smart Battery Compliant
- MOUSE: Optical Mouse included
- FIREWIRE CARD: 3-port FireWire PC card bus (6-pin)
- ENVIRONMENT: Operating temperature: 0 35°C, Storage temperature: -20 – 65°C, Humidity: Operating: 10 – 90% without condensation, Altitude: Operating sea level to 10,000 ft, Storage sea level to 40,000 ft
It’s quite value for money though and I feel the age of desktop recording might be reduced but sooner or later musicians will be mobile in any recording they would want to make.